“Find a job you enjoy, and you’ll never work a day in your life.” – Confucius
It appears that, at least for almost half of all Canadians, what Confucius said is true. A July 2013 poll by BMO Bank of Canada revealed that 47 percent of more than 1,000 individuals said they have found their dream jobs.
And, as noted by BMO Chief Talent Officer Lynn Roger, “We know that satisfied workers are more engaged and more productive, and this can directly correlate to improvement in business profitability, customer satisfaction, and lower turnover and absenteeism.”
Survey Says …
Other survey results include:
- Young professionals seem happy. Of respondents aged 35 and younger, 46 percent agreed that they have landed their dream jobs.
- Men are slightly more likely to be happy in their current jobs. While 51 percent of male respondents reported satisfaction with their jobs, women reported in with a slightly lower rating, at 43 percent.
- Two-thirds of survey respondents look forward to going to work each day. And 70 percent said they feel valued where they work.
- Fifty-eight percent of those with annual incomes less than $50,000 look forward to their workdays. Among this group, 41 percent say they are in their dream jobs.
So, How Do You Find Your Dream Job?
The days of working for the same company for a lifetime are gone, and it’s more than acceptable to consider a variety of options as you progress through your career path. These may include not only changing companies, but moving into a completely new field. If you’ve reached that fork in the road and decide to turn in a new professional direction, get started by:
- Doing your homework. Research career options and potential employers, and determine whether they fit your expectations.
- Trying it out. Consider a short-term work experience or internship to experiment with new positions and industries.
- Sharpening your skill set. This may include going back to school, earning certifications, or other fields of study to best position yourself for a career change.
Already Found Your Dream Job? How to You Land It?
If you’ve already identified the job of your dreams, your goal is to be the “it” candidate – the interviewee who rises to the top and makes the hiring manager want to scream, “Yes! This is the one!”
- One more time: Do your homework! Learn as much as you can about the company, its history, its philosophy, its vision and its culture. Understand your prospective employer’s industry and the company’s position within it.
- The more competitive and responsible the job is, the more research you should do. Devour information from the company’s website. Read informational brochures and articles, annual reports and related collateral material. Use your professional network to connect with contacts who know or have experience with the company.
The dream candidate is the individual who adds the most value to a position, a team and a company. Paint a picture of that person and make it your self-portrait.
To land your dream job, you need a dream team. To get started, contact the recruitment experts at Employment Professionals Canada today! We have many great job opportunities available in Ontario – apply today!