Whether you recently lost your job or are ready for a change from your current position, you need to pursue the best avenues as you take your career forward. Your successful search needs to take you well beyond the want ads and typical online job boards. If you are looking for a job in the Niagara region, follow these tips to find a great position.
Start with a self-assessment.
The first step to the new professional you is an honest self-assessment. Once this is done, you can begin to look ahead to the right role for you, the people in the best position to get you there, and the tools you’ll need to use. Ask yourself:
- What have you done – and liked best – during your career so far?
- What have you disliked?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What type of company do you want to work for? What type of role?
- What are your qualifications?
Finding a job is a job in itself. Take a realistic look at your past, present and potential future. Have a plan – and review it with a trusted family member, friend or coach. Listen to what they say. An outside perspective always helps, and it may refocus your direction.
Tap into your network.
For the best jobs, your network will be your best resource. Make a list of everyone you know, and then add their connections. Identify the most influential people in your network and form or strengthen relationships with them. Tap into:
- Your school alumni chapter: Call those you know, go to events, and reach out to the alumni office. As you find new contacts within your desired industry or companies, add them to your list of contacts and to your LinkedIn network.
- Professional associations: Don’t just add your name to the membership roster. Get actively involved. Talk to at least one person at every gathering who you haven’t previously met. Try to get lists of attendees so you can identify prospective contacts.
Use social media to your advantage.
Seventy-five percent of recruiters use social media to identify job candidates. Start with LinkedIn and optimize your social media presence across all relevant platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as those that pertain to your target industry. Follow your recruiting firm on social media to hear about top positions as they become available, as well as to stay informed about any news or resources they may post.
Work with a professional recruiter.
Specialised recruitment professionals have access to the best jobs – those that will never be advertised. Choose yours carefully. Find a career partner whom you can trust and with whom you can build a lasting relationship. For access to top jobs throughout the Niagara region, consider Employment Professionals Canada. Read our related posts or contact us today, so we can tell you more!
Do you need assistance finding a new job? We can help!
The Ontario recruitment specialists at Employment Professionals Canada partner with job candidates to match you with the right position and company. Contact us today to learn how we can help you today, or leverage these resources to help you advance your career:
- Search Open Jobs. We have many positions available; view open jobs or submit your resume today!
- Setup Job Alerts. Be notified instantly when a position you might be a good fit for becomes available.
- Career Articles and Resources. As recruiting specialists in the area, we strive to share our insight with job candidates. Read our related posts or explore our blog for additional tips and resources.